Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wii U Press Event Planned for September 13

Nintendo is hosting a major Wii U press event in New York City on September 13. According to reports, we will learn "more about how the Wii U will change the future of gaming and entertainment." The event will be hosted by Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. Now, if history teaches us anything, this will be the day that the world finds out the Wii U launch date and price point. The last time Fils-Aime took the stage in New York City for such an event, Nintendo revealed the launch date and price of the 3DS. The time before that? You guessed it. Nintendo hosted a huge Wii launch showcase.

My prediction: the Wii U will launch in North America on Sunday, November 18, five days ahead of Black Friday. It will cost $299, and its games will cost between $49.99 and $59.99. For me the biggest question is whether the system will come bundled with a game. When I first wrote about this, I guessed that the Wii U would arrive in a bundle with a new Super Mario game. After E3, I assumed the bundle would include Nintendo Land. Now I'm not so sure. On one hand, it makes sense as a pack-in title; Nintendo Land is designed to prove the usefulness of the Wii U and its unique tablet controller, just as Wii Sports demonstrated the usefulness of motion controls. On the other hand, Nintendo is marketing Nintendo Land as a complete video game, not simply a collection of tech demos, and might expect it to sell well on its own. If I had to decide, though, I would say Nintendo Land will be bundled with the system. If not, expect the Wii U to arrive with digital software already installed -- something like the AR games on the 3DS.

Fils-Aime in New York City for the 3DS launch event.

In much sadder news, there is a report that Nintendo Power magazine will soon stop publishing. This is especially gut-wrenching for me. I've subscribed to Nintendo Power since 1996 -- I still remember my first issue -- and although I haven't had the opportunity to read every single page like I once did, receiving it in the mail once a month was a real treat for me. I hope the rumors aren't true, but I suspect they are. Several sources at the magazine confirmed as much to the gaming site Kotaku. If it turns out that Nintendo Power is indeed shutting down, expect a lengthy eulogy for my favorite magazine on this blog in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment