Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Weird Video Game Habits

I recently stumbled upon a feature at 1UP.com titled “You’re not Alone: Gamers Share Their Quirky Playing Habits,” and it got me thinking. What quirky video game habits have I developed over the past two decades?

Well, for starters I’m a bit of a completist, and this involves not only how I play in video games, but which video games I play. I need to play every game in a franchise, in order, even if the games are unrelated in terms of story. Oh, and I HAVE to read the manual for each game, cover to cover.

Those are the easy ones.

Then, once I boot up a game, I try my best to find everything I can, every secret room, every hidden trinket, every ammo cache. This behavior probably peaked in the mid to late 1990s when games like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie had literally hundreds of stars, coins, notes, and jinjos to collect. In fact, I was so obsessed with finding one last musical note in Banjo-Kazooie that I stopped playing out of frustration and only finished the game a decade later when I picked it up again and decided it was OK not to get 100% completion. Lately, because I play SO many games, I can’t devote myself so tenaciously to individual titles, but I still try to uncover everything I can. While playing Symphony of the Night, I backtracked through a significant section of the map because I noticed the corner of one room hadn’t been explored. Nothing was there, but it would have driven me crazy not knowing.

Perhaps the pistol wasn't the proper weapon in this situation.

I’m also a conserver, although you could call me a hoarder. Whenever I find money or special ammo or a powerful potion I tend not to use it immediately, saving it for a super-strong enemy or situation that sometimes never appears. At the end of Symphony of the Night, I had in my inventory dozens of unused potions, projectile weapons, and food items. However, this idiosyncrasy started long before that. I remember playing Turok and Turok 2, and blasting enemies with my pistol for as long as I could to save ammo for my shotgun, assault rifle, grenade launcher, etc. Ammo wasn’t exactly in short supply, but I never wanted to use that ammo unless absolutely necessary. Then there's the house I was using in Morrowind to store tons of weapons, armor, books, and other accessories that I couldn't sell. It looked like a treasure chest had exploded.

I'll take the one on the left.

If there is a game where morality is a factor, I NEED to swing all the way to the morally right side of the scale. In games like Mass Effect, Fable, and Jade Empire I make my avatar a paragon of virtue. He or she does no harm, always gives up the payday to help out the needy, and never, ever kills in cold blood. I’ve considered going back and playing through some of these RPGs as an evil character, but I can’t bring myself to do it.

I’m also a compulsive checker. I always, ALWAYS look under every staircase. And I try to walk or swim through every waterfall. And God help me if I walk into a locker room, or a hallway full of closed doors.

It's good advice.

So that’s me. What video game quirks do you have? Do you need to finish every quest in an RPG or do you need to take a particular route when given the decision? Do you have to play on easy the first time through a game? Do you feel compelled to unlock every achievement? Are you a compulsive reloader? Tell us in the comments section.

5 comments:

  1. Trust me when I say that Evan outlines his video game quirks all-too-well in this post. It can drive you nuts!!! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a hoarder. In fallout 3 and fallout vegas I have rooms dedicated to all the shit I have picked up. Buckets, scrap metal, screwdrivers - stuff that has no practical use (but it might!). I will take ammo for weapons I don't have, etc. I'm with you on the paragon thing. I tried playing fallout as an evil character (3 and Vegas, in 2 I accidentally murdered all of New Reno - I was younger then, and killed a hooker and turned the entire city hostile) and could not bring myself to do the evil things.

    I also don't like not finishing all possible parts of a mission, I have to do all the optional objectives. So we're a lot alike, except for your crazed insistence on playing things in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These quirks also explain why it must be such a challenge for him to play with his "little sister." Hilarious article, Evan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I have a particular quirk. While I prefer open world games I am quite linear in doing objectives. I have to complete all the missions from one person and only move onto the next once they've been exhausted. This has resulted is numerous trips back and forth across the map regardless of the proxmity of other missions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few that are pretty specific.

    In Mario 64 when you get all 120 stars and unlock the cannon outside that shoots you on top of Peach's Castle...I spent probably 2 hours or more launching myself to every possible part of the roof that I could see. There is the well-known hidden Yoshi up there who gives you extra lives, which is the point of the whole thing. I, however, tried to reach everywhere else I could not because I expected to find anything, but just because I wanted to see if I could get Mario to some area of the game that the designers didn't intend for the player to be able to reach. I do the same thing with most games that have some sort of artificial border or "edge of the world" or whatever. I always try to get past that barrier just to see what happens. Especially if it's a vehicle stage. I don't know why. Usually if it does result in anything at all it'll be either clipping or the game will just thrust my character back to where they're supposed to be. It rarely if ever results in finding some hidden item or area, but strangely enough it's not even like I'm doing it to look for things like that. It's just an inexplicable compulsion.

    Dr. Mario: if I'm playing 1-player I like to get down to the last virus, then clear the screen as much as possible before destroying it.

    Halo: When using the sniper rifle or any gun with a zoom function I never click to zoom out. I always either reload or switch weapons and then switch back. I have no clue why.

    But the BIGGEST one....EVERY Zelda game, but especially Link to the Past: I have to cut the grass. All of the grass. The whole lawn, on every screen, every part of the map. Ganon, Princess Zelda, the Triforce...they can all wait. Hyrule has a problem with overgrown weeds and Link is the only gardener who can solve it. I remember one playthrough I took it an obsessive step further and on every screen I would cut all of the grass, then whip out the shovel and dig up every square I was allowed to. I did the same exact thing in Link's Awakening. Finding rupees and hidden items was a nice by-product of doing this, but it certainly wasn't WHY I did it. I had to satiate some weird urge.

    ReplyDelete